National Institute of Open Schooling
The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) formerly known as National Open School (NOS) was established in November,1989 as an autonomous organisation in pursuance of National Policy on Education 1986 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India. NIOS is providing a number of Vocational, Life Enrichment and community oriented courses besides General and Academic Courses at Secondary and Senior Secondary level. It also offers Elementary level Courses through its Open Basic Education Programmes (OBE). Government of India through a gazette notification vested NIOS with the authority to examine and certify learners registered with it upto pre degree level courses whether Academic, Technical or Vocational. Association of Indian Universities, vide letter No . EV/11(354)/91/ 25 July, 1991 issued Equivalence of Senior Secondary Certificate Examination of NIOS.
Secondary Course Equivalent to Class 10th:
This Course is equivalent to the Xth standard. You can choose subjects from the Scheme of Studeies given in Table. However, you will be required to successfully complete a minimum of five subjects with atleast one language or atmost two languages, which is compulsory for certification.
Eligibility for SSC (Secondary School Education):
- Secondary: The minimum age to take admission in the Secondary Course is 14 years as on 31st January of Current year (for details, see prospectus)
- A learner who has passed class VIII and has valid proof of attaining 14 years of age can apply for registration to the Secondary Course.
- A learner giving a self-certificate “I have studied enough to be able to pursue secondary course” is also eligible for admission to the Secondary Course.
- A learner who had studied at the secondary level can also seek admission in NIOS either to complete his course or to improve his performance.
Senior Secondary Course Equivalent to Class Intermediate (10+2):
This Course is designed for those who have passed the Xth standard or equivalent examination from a recognised Board and would like to continue their education towards a Senior Secondary Certification, equivalent to XII standard. Your can choose subjects from the Scheme of Studies given in Table. However, you will be required to successfully complete a minimum of five subjects with atleast one language or atmost two languages, which is compulsory for Certification.
Eligibility for Intermediate (10+2):
- Student should Passed in SSC or its Equivalent / Intermediate Drop-Out
- To Complete In order to take admission in the Senior Secondary course or Inter in One Year, the learner must have passed the Secondary course from a recognised Board..
Supporting Documents required:
The learner has to be ready with the Scanned copy/soft copy (jpg, jpeg files) of the given below documents which will be required to be uploaded while registering for the Admission to Secondary and Senior Secondary courses
- Recent Passport size color Photograph
- Signature (preferably in Black Ink)
- Valid identity proof (like Aadhaar Card or Passport or Ration card or etc.)
- Valid proof of Date of Birth (like Aadhaar Card with date of birth printed on it in the dd/mm/yyyy format, Birth Certificate etc.)
- A valid proof of Residence (like Aadhaar Card with complete address printed on it, valid Passport etc.).
- Address proof i.e. Aadhaar Card/Water Bill/Electricity Bill/Voter ID/Ration Card/Indian
Passport/Statement of Operational Bank Account/Appointment Letter from the Employer on Printed Letter Head, if living in rented accommodation – copy of any proof of permanent address along with present Rented Agreement
- Class 8th marksheet (in case of secondary course) or class 10th marksheet (in case of senior secondary course)
- Social category/Caste certificate (in case the learner belongs to SC/ST/OBC social category).o Ex-serviceman certificate (in case he/she is an Ex-serviceman)
- Disability certificate (in case he/she is having any kind of disability)
- Fail Mark sheet of previous Board, failing which Transfer of Credit (TOC) marks will not be updated in NIOS result. If TOC Board marked with (*Other) is selected then the Result should be available on the Concerned Board Website or Learner has to submit result verification letter from Concerned Board as per NIOS norms
|Course||Subject Offered||Scheme of Studies|
Hindi(201), English(202), Bengali(203), Marathi(204), Telugu(205), Urdu(206), Gujarati(207), Kannada(208), Sanskrit(209), Punjabi(210), Assamese (228),Nepali(231), Malayalam(232), Oriya(233), Arabic (235),Persian (236), Tamil (237)Group-B
Mathematics(211), *Science(212), Social Science(213), Economics(214), Business Studies(215), *Home Science(216), *Word Processing(E)(219), Psychology (222), Indian Culture & Heritage (223), *Painting (225)
Hindi(301), English(302), Urdu(306), Sanskrit (309)Group-B
Mathematics(311), *Physics(312), Chemistry(313),*Biology(314),History(315), *Geography(316), Political Science(317), Economics(318), Commerce(319), Accountancy(320), *Home Science(321), *Word Processing(E)(327), Psychology(328), *Computer Science(330), Sociology(331), *Painting (332), *Mass Communication (335)
Subjects with * have theory as well as practical works.
Note: The Certificated issued by the NIOS is equivalent to Intermediate and this can be valid for all Higher Educations as well as Governament Jobs
For More Details visit NIOS Website